But what if the DropBox features are lacking?
And this is not the only advantage. Once you set up synchronization of your data with an Internet flash drive, you can no longer worry about it – everything will happen automatically. Compare this with a physical flash drive, to which you need to copy your documents, then remove, carry somewhere, paste … It is not surprising that DropBox has become megapopular and spawned a lot of clone services. To attract users, they offer better conditions and new opportunities. And all this is only at hand for us! Competition is good.
It forces firms to give consumers more useful things for less money. Moreover, in this case, “less money” may mean complete free. Lepota! So, I present a service for saving and synchronizing SugarSync data! How does he stand out from the competition? Yes, almost nothing. Unless in some little things. However, little things can play a decisive role when it comes to choosing a service that performs such an important function.
Dissatisfaction and irritation due to the fact that this little thing is not there, the other works somehow wrong, and the third is generally buggy, it can accumulate day after day. Here is a list of the main criteria by which I chose
1. Space provided free of charge. DropBox gives 2 GB. Such an offer has long been outdated, but the creators of the service rested on their laurels in the dangerous assurance that the promotion and the accumulated user base will save them. Dangerous fallacy. Now the de facto standard is 5 GB. That’s exactly what SugarSync offers. Moreover, this space can be expanded indefinitely, remaining within the free tariff! For example, everyone who signs up for SugarSync via a referral link will immediately receive an increase of half a gigabyte. Just a few simple steps – and now you have 6 GB or even a little more. And maybe even a lot more. All in your hands!
2. Synchronization of any folders and files. DropBox syncs only one folder. Therefore, you have to make sure that the desired file is in this folder. Well, if this is the text of the article, for example. You just create it in this folder – and that’s it. And if this is the configuration file of the program? Or save game computer file? They must lie in their places. Do so-called symbolic links? Many users do not know what it is. Yes, and why? The computer should save us from such stupid monotonous actions as daily (or hourly) copying of files to a specific folder. He must also spare unnecessary difficulties. For example, from learning new technology (symbolic links). That’s why I like SugarSync. He solves my problems, and does not bring new ones into my life. This is a trifle, but these trifles add up what is now called “usability”, the usability of the program.
3. No restrictions on file size. Many services imply such a limitation. Usually it is 2 GB, and in some cases even 200 MB. But on SugarSync you can upload a file that will occupy the entire available volume. I uploaded two DVD images for trial, both larger than 2 GB. No problem! By the way, in total they weigh a little more than 5 GB. This is one of the reasons why I paid attention to this service. It would be a shame to buy a paid account in order to increase the volume by 10%.
4. Sending files by email. Let’s say you got some important document attached to an email. You need to save it to your hard drive, and then set up synchronization. Or, as in the case of DropBox, immediately save to a synchronized folder. Then we must not forget where they shoved it … In order not to ask ourselves in a couple of months what the file is and where it came from. SugarSync again to the rescue! You don’t need to save anything to disk, just redirect this letter to a special mailbox. As a result, your desired file will automatically be in the network storage, in a special folder intended exclusively for files downloaded in this way. Of course, then you can do anything with it – move, download, delete …
5. Reasonable tracking of file actions. What I mean? Suppose you change a file that is synchronized with the SugarSync repository. Of course, this change will be reflected in SugarSync. But what if the change was undesirable? For example, some kind of failure occurred, the wrong information was written to the file. Don’t be alarmed, citizens! SugarSync stores the last 5 copies of each file, so you can roll back and extract the correct file from the copies, even if you did not immediately notice the fact of damage, and they managed to overwrite each other several times. And if we ourselves deleted the file? If all changes are tracked, then the file should be deleted on SugarSync, isn’t it? No, it is not. The file will remain in the repository until we give a conscious command to delete it from there. Ingenious!
6. Easy access from a variety of devices: iPhone, iPad, Android, BlackBerry, Symbian, Windows Mobile. And also, of course, from a computer.