What is the best way to download files – torrent or file sharing?
Let’s figure out what a torrent tracker is. This is well written in the article “Tracker, torrent – what is it and what is it for?”. File sharing also exists specifically for file sharing, but it functions on a different principle. A file hosting service is a service that provides the user with a place to store files and round-the-clock access to them via the Web.
The user once uploads the file to the file hosting server, and the file sharing service gives the user a permanent link that he can publish on blogs, forums or send to friends by mail. By clicking on such a link or entering it in the address bar of the browser, any other user can download this file. But, unlike the method of downloading using torrent clients, file sharing has several limitations – the file should not exceed 2 GB and has a clearly defined storage period (from a week to six months), then if it is not downloaded within the agreed time, it is deleted and the link no longer works. The most popular file hosting services: RapidShare, DepositFiles, iFolder, LetItBit, Turbobit.
Also, many portals such as narod.ru and Yandex.ru have their own file sharing services, but registration is required for their use. Let’s try to determine the pros and cons of torrents and file sharing so that later the reader himself can compare these two types of resources and choose the most suitable one for himself. Pros of torrents:
1. Maximum download speed – if at least a few people share the file you are downloading, then the speed of downloading it will be as close as possible to the threshold that the provider set for you.
2. Convenient search.
You need to either know the addresses of several torrent trackers, or use the global search for trackers – and you will quickly find what you were looking for.
3. On trackers (sites where file descriptions and links to download them are located) movie and game descriptions are usually much more complete than on sites publishing links to file sharing sites. In addition, torrent files are carefully checked by the moderators for compliance (so as not to slip another or broken file), you can also read comments and reviews about the file.
4. Download the entire file. You start the torrent client to download and you can safely go about your business or go to sleep without worrying about downloading the next piece of the file.
5. Adjustable download and upload speed. In the torrent client, with one click, you can configure the download or distribution speed. This is necessary in order to temporarily free the channel for other needs without interrupting the download. By the way, you can also interrupt the download without fear of losing the downloaded.
6. There are many client programs for exchanging files using the BitTorrent protocol, the most popular of them are µTorrent, BitComet, BitSpirit, Azureus. Each torrent tracker must have detailed instructions for using these clients and the torrent tracker itself.
7. A torrent tracker, unlike a file hosting service, is not a file storage, that is, even with possible malfunctions of the site itself, the download will continue.
1. On most torrent trackers, registration is required and there is a rating system – that is, you need to distribute a certain number of gigabytes in order to be able to download the following files. This becomes a problem only with limited Internet (outgoing traffic is also taken into account when paying) or if the return channel is too small. Although there are several trackers on the Web that do not require registration and do not take into account the rating. 2. A file cannot be quickly downloaded when no one is distributing it. But this is very rare. In this case, look for a similar file on another tracker.
3. It is problematic to use torrent with limited Internet access. It will be necessary to constantly check the statistics so as not to exceed the traffic limit, since the given megabytes are added to the downloaded ones, and it becomes difficult to keep track of everything.
4. The use of torrent clients can be closed by the administrator or prohibited by the provider. That is, sitting in the office, you most likely will not be able to use these resources. 5. The torrent client can slow down the work of other programs, such as games, video editors, and other specific applications. Sometimes there are conflicts with the firewall, however, if configured correctly, they are easy to avoid.
6. The security of using torrent clients is sometimes called into question, although in practice it is easier to “catch” the virus by downloading from file hosting services.
Pros of file hosting:
1. By uploading files to a file hosting service, you can theoretically earn, although in practice this will result in a maximum of a few dollars, the game is not worth the candle. But if you need to quickly transfer a small file to someone, but you can’t do it using mail or ICQ for some reason, then file sharing is the best solution.
2. On some file hosting services you can also download at maximum speed.
3. No need to worry about the rating and count the number of megabytes given